Monday, May 4, 2015

Utah Ranks in Aerospace Manufacturing

A quick reference to a recent article about aerospace worldwide and particularly in the United States. Good job Utah!!

For the US state rankings, which considered variables including tax rates, operating costs, industry size and educational attainment,  Florida maintained its #1 position from last year. Newcomers to the top ten included Utah, Virginia, New York, and North Carolina.




Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Downtown Labor Pull

Mark Knold, Supervising Economist

Major metropolitan areas center on a large city and its downtown core. In Utah, that is Salt Lake City. A skyline of office buildings are fed by a transportation artery designed to funnel labor to this economic center. Downtowns can be known for being more of a work area than a residential area, and so workday populations can swell in a downtown, then ebb as the evening unfolds.

A U.S. Census Bureau product entitled Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics (LEHD) has a great mapping tool that allows users to outline a geographic area and then see how many workers work in that area and where they commute from. Let’s look at the Salt Lake City downtown core.

The downtown will be defined as extending from I-15 eastward along North Temple to 700 East, then south to 800 South and west back to I-15. This rectangle roughly follows census block groups, which is the lowest foundation the LEHD program will geographically measure. Within this zone, roughly 58,100 jobs exist  (as of 2011, so 2015 totals would be higher). Of that total, 11,350, or 20 percent, live in Salt Lake City itself. The remaining 80 percent come in from surrounding cities and counties.

The list to the left are cities and their supply into the 58,100 jobs. It is a diverse list.

As expected, workers approach the downtown from all directions. It’s interesting to see that a city as far away as Spanish Fork supplies as many workers to the downtown as does Woods Cross, a city much closer. The work appeal and the quality of jobs available to come into the downtown area have a far reach. Even a city with its own downtown core, such as Ogden, supplies close to 900 workers for downtown Salt Lake City.

There is another major employment area to the east of the downtown core — the University of Utah (U of U) and its surroundings. That area accounts for another 32,000 jobs. Its commuting pattern for employment looks like this:

Friday, April 10, 2015

FIRST Robotics: Getting Our Future Workforce Interested in STEM

Matt Schroeder, Regional Economist

On March 13, 2015, West Valley City’s Maverik Center was filled with all the energy, excitement and fanfare you would expect at a major sporting event — blaring music, cheering and dancing fans. But instead of athletes and a ball, there were robots and pool noodles. This was the sixth annual FIRST Robotics competition for Utah and the surrounding region, where 53 teams of high school students from 11 states faced off in hopes of qualifying for a slot at the national championships in St. Louis.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

It’s National Women’s History Month

By Lecia Parks Langston, Senior Economist

Click to Enlarge
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, a Harvard historian who grew up next door in Idaho, once wrote: “Well-behaved women seldom make history.” While I can’t speak to their deportment, Utah’s past is filled with history-making women. Martha Hughes Cannon was a noted physician and the first female state senator in the United States. Sarah Young, granddaughter to Brigham Young, was Utah’s first female voter. Juanita Brooks, a Utah historian, wrote with integrity about the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Mayor Mary Chamberlain headed the United States’ first all-female city council in Kanab. Florence Ellinwood Allen was the first woman appointed to a federal appellate court. Utah's first congresswoman, Reva Beck Bosone, also had a distinguished judicial career. This list just scratches the surface of the many women who have contributed to Utah’s history, published and unpublished.

What do we know about women in Utah today? The figures below, taken primarily from the American Community Survey show data of Utah women, whose present will be the history of tomorrow.

Demographics 

  • Roughly 1.4 million females live in Utah (2013). 
  • Unlike previous decades, Utah males currently out-number Utah females (49.7 percent of the population). 
  • At 85 years old and over, Utah women outnumber Utah men by 1.5 to one. 
  • In Utah, the median age of women is 30.7 years compared to 29.6 for men. 
  • Approximately 57 percent of Utah females over age 15 are married, 27 percent have never married, 6 percent are widowed and 10 percent are divorced. 
  •  There are more than 8,500 female veterans in Utah, 6.5 percent of all Utah veterans.