While there's no data in the report specifically for Utah. You can find information about children living with grandparents from the American Community Survey. To get statistically valid estimates, I'm using the 2005-2009 averages. Here are just a few facts about children who live with their grandparents in Utah.
- More than 43,000 Utah children live with their grandparents--that represents about 5 percent of all children living in households.
- Nationally, a slightly higher percentage of children live with grandparents--about 7 percent.
- Of those Utah children living with grandparents, 51 percent are under 6 years of age, 29 percent are between the ages of 6 and 11, and 19 percent are in the 12-17 age group.
- In Utah, grandparents have responsibility for about 4,900 grandchildren with absent parents. Roughly 47 percent of these children are over the age of 12, while only 19 percent are under 6 years of age.
- The median income for households with both grandchildren and grandparents measures about $75,000. On the other hand, the median income for households for responsible grandparents with no parent present measures less than $50,000--these households are also more likely to have incomes below the poverty level.