Tuesday, October 14, 2014

How Utahns Get to Work

By Jim Robson, Senior Economist

Most workers in Utah must travel some distance each day to get to work. In 2013, there was an estimated 1,307,408 workers 16 years of age and older in Utah working during the average week. About 67,201 workers, or 5.1 percent, worked from home. The remaining 94.9 percent of workers (1,240,207) were commuting to work. Figure 1 gives a breakout of how workers went to work in 2013 for Utah and the U.S.


Basically, three out of four Utahns drive alone to work, as do workers on average in the nation. In Utah, 14.1 percent of workers carpool or take public transit compared to 14.6 percent nationally. Of the 27,879 (2.1 percent) of Utah workers who took “other means” to work 10,769 rode a bicycle or 0.8 percent of all workers. The other 17,110 (1.3 percent) using other means to get to work, a motorcycle, a taxicab or by some other way.

Figure 2 provides a five-year history of the means of transportation to work for Utah workers from 2009 to 2013. Looking at this statewide perspective over the last five years, there is some variation as would be expected from an approximately two percent sample of Utah households surveyed each year from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey.  But overall, the percentages of Utah workers arriving at work seem to be quite stable in recent years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments! However, we do not post comments with "links" or those comments directing to your website. These will not be published. Thank you